- This event has passed.
Blunt Talk: Reframing the Conversation with Youth about Marijuana
October 3, 2019 . 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
This training provides an overview of marijuana and current trends in use among youth. We will review research to date on marijuana and the teenage brain, perceived benefits, short-term vs. long-term effects of use, and facts about marijuana and addiction/ cannabis use disorder. The training will focus on ways to engage youth in understanding their patterns of marijuana use, their reasons for use, and developing alternatives to marijuana use while promoting open, positive communication and healthier life choices. Treatment resources for youth and young adults (licensed by the Bureau of Substance Addiction Services/BSAS) will also be shared.
This training is aimed towards anyone working with youth and young adults; prior knowledge is not required.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to
- To understand the neurobiology of marijuana use.
- To understand current trends in marijuana use.
- To identify commonly perceived benefits and research-based short- and long-term risks of marijuana use.
- To identify best practices for engaging youth around marijuana use and ways to promote healthier life choices.
- To understand the continuum of care (licensed treatment) for youth with concerning cannabis or other substance use.