- This event has passed.
Confidentiality, Boundaries & Client Consent in the age of Technology
January 27, 2020 . 8:30 am - 4:00 pm$60
This training is intended for treatment providers who have a basic understanding of addiction counseling and confidentiality regulations. During this 6-hour training, there will be didactic lectures, PowerPoint slides, open discussions and two small-group activities.
This training will include a review of codes of ethics, HIPAA, 42 CFR part 2, including a review of the recent changes, and the overlap and impact on each other. We will discuss ethics as a risk management issue, including boundary violations, and dual relationships and the challenges social media presents to boundaries. It will utilize an ethical decision making model; explore technology driven ethical issues; and describe specific techniques to stay ethical when utilizing various technology applications.
Upon completion of this course, participants will (be able to):
- Understand responsibility of addiction and counseling professionals (as clinicians, clinical supervisors, or program administrators) to protect the confidentiality of their clients.
- Learn specific techniques to protect their own privacy.
- Recognize the importance of establishing policies that secure professional boundaries with clients, co-workers and supervisees.
- Discover policies that their program or practice can implement to maintain confidentiality and protect employees.
- Identify ways in which technology presents unique challenges in practice and learn safeguards when using technology to protect client confidentiality