- This event has passed.
Cultural Competency: Techniques & Strategies in Clinical Settings
March 20, 2017 . 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
The one-day workshop is designed to highlight and explore the needs of substance abuse treatment professionals working with culturally diverse individuals, organizations, and communities. The participants will be able to understand the role cultural competency in clinical settings and will learn proven techniques and strategies for engagement. The training will include didactic as well as interactive exercises designed to engage participants and elicit their input. The training is intended for entry to advanced level.
Upon completion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Identify at least 3 barriers to delivering culturally competent clinical services.
- Identify at least 3 cultural issues and dynamics in the planning.
- Identify the role of internalized and institutionalized oppression.
- Identify at least 5 techniques and strategies that work.
- Identify community based resources.
- Identify how culture impacts mental health.
- Identify cultural strategies that support mental health treatment.