- This event has passed.
Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
March 13, 2018 . 8:30 am - 4:00 pm$60
Motivational Interviewing (MI) is a client-centered, evidenced-based method for engaging clients in a self-examination of the issues they face, and creation of motivation to change by exploring and resolving ambivalence. It is being used with considerable success throughout the MA inpatient and outpatient treatment and recovery system.
This one-day training will provide an overview of motivational interviewing, stages of change model and basic MI techniques. It is designed for individuals with NO prior MI training or expertise.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the nature and purpose of MI, and the types of settings and situations where it can be useful to clinicians and their clients.
- Define and describe at least two basic MI core concepts, tools and techniques, e.g., the stages of change, OARS, and DARNC.
- Experiment with/practice the use of MI tools and techniques in their work with clients.
- Explore creative ways to utilize MI in substance abuse treatment programs as well as outpatient mental health settings.
- Identify and describe the 10 MI traps
MA Department of Public Health, Bureau of Substance Addiction Services & AdCare Educational Institute, Inc.
For more information, please email Courtney Lee at [email protected].