- This event has passed.
Introduction to Trauma-Informed Treatment with Adolescents
June 10, 2019 . 8:30 am - 4:00 pm$35
This 6-hour training is designed for direct care providers as well as new to mid-level experienced clinicians to improve their skills concerning their engagement with adolescents who struggle with a trauma history as well as substance use issues.
The core content involves defining trauma, emotional and behavioral traits displayed by those exposed to traumatic events, latency age and adolescent development (social, emotional and cognitive), the relationship of trauma, substance use and mental health issues, trauma-informed and trauma-specific best practices within the milieu, strategies in working with traumatized teenagers and coping with secondary trauma and burnout. Participants will also have opportunities to practice these trauma-informed principles via role-plays and audience members will be able to support and encourage the use of appropriate interactions to enhance safety, understanding and emotional regulation skills.
Upon completion of this program, participants will be able to
- Educate participants about the impact of trauma and mental illness and develop an enhanced understanding of trauma’s impact on cognitive, social and behavioral functioning in adolescents
- Identify symptoms of trauma as they relate to an individual’s physiological, cognitive, emotional and belief systems
- Provide training and technical assistance to the audience to create trauma-informed environments and care
- Assist staff in identifying and utilizing hands-on, trauma-informed strategies within the milieu
- Assess staff’s abilities concerning trauma-related incidents and motivate staff to approach incidents in a trauma-informed manner.