- This event has passed.
Neurobiology of Addiction
August 10, 2015 . 8:30 am - 4:00 pm$55
Cognitive neuroscience, where psychology meets biology, has enabled us to clarify some of the biological bases for substance use and other addictive disorders. This workshop will examine connections between the brain changes and psychological/emotional/behavioral components of addictive disorders. The progression of these disorders will be discussed along with their increasing resistance to change and the implications for treatment.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- List brain structures implicated in these disorders and their roles.
- Describe the effects of drugs of abuse.
- Describe the process these disorders take on a life of their own.
- List three strategies to help clients loosen the grip of addictive disorders.
- Describe the actions psychotropic medications and their value in the treatment of these disorders.
- List 3 mental health benefits of mindful meditation practice.
MA Department of Public Health, Bureau of Substance Addiction Services & AdCare Educational Institute, Inc.